Common people mostly have fickle minds; they are always guided by what they wish to believe, often to their advantage. When they are worried, frightened and clueless about the near future they are most at risk of doubt and conspiracy theories. The past 6 months people throughout the globe are extremely disturbed by the COVID 19 pandemic, less because of the deadly ramifications of the virus than the restrictions and lock-downs derailing normal life it has earned its wake. They desperately need to go back to the sweet normal times and live happily ever after, and therefore they jump to just accept and believe fully when some motivated souls offer that’COVID 19 is a joke, it’s simply a’annual influenza ‘. Thus the’doubt virus’is done and the social media marketing as always helps it spread-at times even faster than the killer virus. Probably the basic impulses for skepticism stem from the important points that over 808 of Coronavirus positive cases are mild in nature and recover easily, only seniors with co-morbidity are most vulnerable and that on average the death rate is low at 1 to 4% except for many countries. However, facts also show that the dead includes young people too and everyone can be infected using this most contagious virus.
The conspiracy theories originated in the United States, as always, where extraordinarily’democratic’parts of the citizens opposed the lockdown and restrictions from the beginning symbolizing these with the’agenda’of President Trump. Several conspiracy theories linking even the tragic murder of George Floyd started doing the rounds in the US that we will not make a description here just to prevent vulnerable minds undergo and inculcate doubts. We’d only like to say here that writer got a cultural media forward giving a link to a write-up by some’enlightened soul’who took pains of great arguments to’prove’that the pandemic is really a’political hoax ‘. As we mentioned earlier lots of vulnerable people got influenced by this, and none other when compared to a medical surgeon of the Indian state of Assam who even lodged a FIR alleging that just a’annual influenza’has been labeled as a pandemic and he wanted action from the concerned governments. This, naturally, created a string of reactions in their state driving news channels asking the hapless common people about their’doubts’on the COVID 19 infections rather than destroying the dilemma.
Now, this’annual influenza’theory stops working at the fundamental premise itself: if that’s so then this phenomenon must certanly be occurring annually, and why then this year must be so different! Governments do not need to have gone on a crisis drive to produce more and more healthcare facilities including ICU beds just to tackle an annual event of flu. Then come the experiences of varied affected countries and governments tackling this’annual influenza’some that we narrate below as arguments to break such types of fake and motivated views:
1. Let’s take the example of the Chinese experiment. Ignoring lots of conspiracy theories about China itself we only ask here why would China need absolute authoritarian measures to tackle the virus (well, even annual influenza is the effect of a virus) in terms of continuous lockdown and rigorous enforcement โควิด 19. After being successful keeping in mind the infected numbers below 100,000 the united states continues to be fearing a second outbreak, and risking its economic downswing again to prevent its spread. Its aggression against India can also be explained as a part of its apparent desperation. An annual flu cannot explain these.
2. Why would countries like UK, Italy, Spain, France, USA and Brazil suffer so much from an annual influenza that killed over fifty percent a million up to now and continues to be on its deadly prowls? Why would Italy reduce itself to circumstances of helplessness with dead bodies of Corona patients littered everywhere or why would a German finance minister commit suicide over Corona worries? How one is to take into account a death rate of over 14% (seen in several countries) for an annual influenza virus?
3. Why would the doctors and experts of the World Health Organization carry on telling’lies’that the newest Coronavirus is extremely dangerous that will probably stay for more than 2 yrs and the worst is yet ahead despite whatever campaigns or actions going on or taken against it? We seemed to possess accepted in the beginning that pandemic is the greatest crisis ever faced by humankind. Now, why have second thoughts and doubts?
4. Why would countries across the world carry on taking huge risks for an economic crash with unprecedented unemployment and pave just how for a recession possibly even worse than the Great Depression? In particular, why a developing country and a most promising upcoming world power like India should risk whatever it has achieved in development so far.
5. Why is this type of mad rush throughout the globe to fast-track production of a vaccine against only an annual flu? At the very least this intensive medical research cannot mask a hidden agenda whatever that’ll be.
Within the last few few days new cases in India have now been rising at nearly 25000 each day with the only solace that daily recoveries increasing steadily and the death rate is fortunately still low; the concern being truly a rising positivity rate indicating community transmission. As of this crucial juncture we must not pay heed to conspiracy theories and fake news. Such theories have obvious goals: to generate publicity for unknown persons or groups or to create a kill in terms of profit. For example, if a link for a write-up with sensational and terrifying headlines gets circulated across social media marketing and motivated media outlets consider the type of clicks being generated which directly translate into money.